Sunday, September 28, 2008

punkins, punkins


I hauled a few hundred pounds of pumpkins in a wheelbarrow today. I had to move the harvest so's we could actually mow the backyard (in the process, mulching most of the squash vines). I have no idea if any of these are going to be edible, but they sure are pretty. Our soil was a little lacking in richness, but we're sheet mulching and manuring before the snow comes and it should be much better next year.



Speaking of harvests, we'll be apple-picking as soon as the weather allows. I'm hoping for a few bushels for the basement. And now, I have a sparkly new pile of apple recipes to play with. THANK YOU [info]carryboo !!! I'll be apple-ing all winter (and I think I'll start with the "Cake for Elves" and not just because it's for elves and maybe they'll come and have dessert with us if I bake it).

And because there's nothing purple in this post:


Basket Flower

I received a seed packet of Basket Flower as a bonus in our Spring seed order a couple years ago. This year, I finally decided to plant them, and now I want a whole field of them. They are madly beautiful. I brought in a few as cut flowers, and each day they open more, completely changing shape over and over again. The color in the yarn aren't right-on (the purple isn't quite pink enough), but the white on purple is what reminded me of the flower.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you could make a pumpkin mountain! goodness!