Sunday, February 8, 2009

25 Things

Because not all y'all are privy to my FB...here is my contribution to the 25 Things that were going around...

1. I think chocolate should be classified as a fruit. It comes out of a pod, after all, that grows on a beautiful tree with gorgeous pink flowers. Said tree is tattooed on my right inner forearm. Because it's a FRUIT, and I love it, and I'm pretty sure I was once a tropical bird.

2. I spent the first 27 years of my life in California, and this is now my fourth Winter in Vermont. I am tropical bird turned snow bunny.

3. We lived in a 200-year-old farmhouse for the last three years...this summer we move to a log cabin in the woods.

4. I make excellent granola.

5. And cookies (also a fruit).

6. Young Me would raise an eyebrow at Now Me. For countless reasons.

7. Being married and having a child would probably be tops on the list.

8. I miss rock climbing so much my body aches for it daily, physically and spiritually. I don't happen to live near any good spots, but I fantasize about building a training wall at the cabin. Funny how a three-hour drive to Yosemite meant nothing when I lived in the Bay Area, but a three-hour drive into NH is a huge pain in the ass for me now.

9. I also miss 100-mile bike rides in 100 degrees.

10. I plan to get a new bike this Spring, even if I have to sell a kidney.

11. I'm inexplicably terrified of pool lights.

12. I never ride elevators alone.

13. I spill and break things. A lot. In fact, I just spilled tea on my laptop. Shit.

14. I drink a LOT of tea.

15. I had a very difficult time in school, socially speaking, from kindergarten on up. Theater was my escape in high school, and I continued with it as my major through the first couple years of college.

16. I suffered through an eating disorder my last two years of college (as did my boyfriend at the time, whether or not he ever admitted it), and used photography as a means to cope and work through it. Exploring the topic became my graduating thesis and gallery show.

17. I put away my camera for a long time after that.

18. I'm picking it back up again.

19. I delight in the absurdity of modern life. That is, when I'm not paralyzed by it.

20. Contrary to popular opinion (I've had to explain this to my step-dad at least 50 times), I am not vegan. I support local food movements and our immediate future plans involve a neighborhood milking cow and lots of yoghurt and cheese-making.

21. In my business, I support small family farms and humane farming practices. I'd like to raise my own sheep someday. Oh, and some pygoras would be nice.

22. Said business is wool-play. I dye fiber, spin fiber, felt fiber...it is a comforting meditation. I try to tell my stories with it.

23. I have too many stories I have not told.

24. I worry too much about how I am bringing up my son in a world where peace is elusive and social collapse is imminent. I have so much to learn from him, he who wears joy on his sleeve, forgiveness in his pocket and carries in him a heart wide open to new adventures.

25. I'm deeply in love with a fictional character, which is okay because he's JUST LIKE my husband. Well, you know, if he were a British sea captain a couple hundred years ago...

2 comments:

Jess said...

i am totally afraid of pool lights.

xoxo

http://www.sushipie.squarespace.com

Anonymous said...

i love reading all these little details about people...it paints a richer picture. thanks for sharing!