Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Upside of Things

While my beloved almonds are on the NO CAN EAT list, chocolate is not (phew!)

While tumeric is out, and therefore curry (OUCH), I can enjoy as much rhubarb and strawberries as this glorious VT Spring can throw my way (unless, of course, I forget that moderation is best and they move over to the NO list...tricky, tricky)!

Basically, everything that I CAN eat, I need to put on a four-day rotation...so, I can only have rice once every four days. LEAKY GUT SYNDROME is L-A-M-E.

But, if I'm a good girl and eat enzyme pills and probiotics and practice avoidance of many of my favorite things for the next 6 MONTHS TO A YEAR, I may be able to start reintroducing said favorite things back into my diet. Then again, I may just discover new favorite things and wheat and all it's glutinous buddies can shove off forever.

I've had some time to mull this over, and I think I can turn this into an enjoyable sort of challenge. At least when I'm back in the Bay Area for a few weeks, I know I can enjoy me some Cafe Gratitude, Ethiopian and Thai (so long as I can resist a thai iced tea), and my favorite tea house (because black tea is A-OKAY).

I have no bad feelings towards my allergy panel. None, whatsoever. For the last nearly-a-year, I have had trouble sleeping, mood swings and headaches, random bouts of intense nausea. I looked in the fridge when I got home and it was full of everything my body can't handle. I think at least 40% of the Co-op employees must internally roll their eyes when they see me coming...I always need help with the bulk because I can't actually go into the department and today I returned $30 worth of almonds I'm sure they can't put back in the bin.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to feeling good and normal again. I am armed with goat cheese, bananas and cashews and some amazing-looking coconut-based "ice cream."

Oh, and the Newfane Post Office just called and guess what they have!

No comments: